Homeless Connect Edmonton is a broad-based community-inspired initiative, providing free appropriate services to people experiencing homelessness and those at risk of becoming homeless, on one day and at one location.
Its mission is to provide services that help open doors out of homelessness, build lasting partnerships, raise public awareness of homelessness in the community, and provide a vehicle for community involvement in addressing the issue of homelessness.
- Welcome people experiencing homelessness and those at risk of becoming homeless to a non-judgmental day of service.
- Engage leaders and volunteers in an activity that will increase their knowledge of the issues related to homelessness.
- Increase public knowledge and awareness of the event and how this event can complement the City of Edmonton’s 10-Year Plan to End Homelessness.
EXAMPLES OF SERVICES
- Medical Services — immunizations, foot clinic, pregnancy tests, prenatal support
- Mental Health and Addiction counseling, Elder counseling
- Community services and housing resources
- Income Support — Alberta Works on-site resources
- Coats, footwear, clothing and Comfort Kits filled with personal care items
- Immediate needs — Dental services, hot meals, haircuts, clothing, foot care
- Free calls — long distance and local
Throughout the day during each Homeless Connect Edmonton event, about 400 volunteers donate their time to ensure all guests leave with a positive experience. As well, each guest of the event receives a kit filled with personal care items. The Personal Care Kits are proudly sponsored by Parlee McLaws LLP and filled with items donated and packaged by the community at large.
If you would like to donate items for Homeless Connect or would like to volunteer for the event, please contact Jenn Dermott at email@example.com.