Approximately 5,000 volunteers in the Alberta Capital Region help United Way carry out its community programs and projects. During the campaign season from September to December, approximately 25 temporary employees and company Sponsored Campaign Representatives assist with our fundraising work. This helps United Way leverage resources and decrease overhead costs.
We also bring together community partners throughout the region to share strategies, eliminate duplicate work, and increase cost efficiency by working in collaboration.
Additionally, United Way events are sponsored by corporations who generously offer to cover event costs.
There are also regulatory bodies in place that ensure we are operating to the highest standards:
- Imagine Canada is the national umbrella for charities and provides standards for charitable organizations to manage and report their financial affairs and fundraising responsibly through the Ethical Code Program.
- Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires all registered Canadian charities to be accountable, transparent and responsible stewards of the dollars raised in order to maintain charitable status. CRA also requires that all charities report salary ranges that are subsequently published on the CRA website for public review.
- Visit the CRA website for more information:
- On the Home page, click the Taxes tab and then click on Charities and giving.
- Click on List of Charities and other qualified donors.
- Click on Charities.
- Type in the charity name field, then click the Search.
- Scroll through the list and click on the name of the charity of interest.
United Way of the Alberta Capital Region encourages all individuals to contact their charities of interest and learn the costs associated with each in order to make an informed decision.